The COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on the restaurant industry, and many restaurants are facing new challenges in reducing food waste. Here are some tips to help you reduce food waste in your restaurant post-COVID:
- Reduce your menu size. A smaller menu can help you to reduce food waste and improve the quality of your food.
- Rationalize your ingredients. Use the same ingredients in multiple dishes to reduce the amount of stock you need to manage and make it easier to use up leftovers.
- Have a chef's special. The chef's special is a great way to get creative and use up unsold dishes and ingredients.
- Track your food waste. This is the best way to understand where your food waste is coming from and how to reduce it.
- Donate unsold food to food banks. This is a great way to help others in need and reduce your food waste at the same time.
Here are some additional tips that may be helpful for restaurants in Switzerland:
- Adapt to new diner habits. Diner habits have changed during the pandemic, so it's important to be attentive to these changes and adapt your menu and operations accordingly.
- Use an automated food waste tracking solution. This can help you to save time and get more accurate data on your food waste.
- Partner with local food banks. There are many food banks in Switzerland that are working to feed the hungry. Contact your local food bank to see how you can partner with them to donate unsold food.
By following these tips, you can reduce food waste in your restaurant and make it more sustainable.